Monday 28 April 2014

RUST Final Major Project ~ Texturing Leo

Like with Sprocket, I just textured onto Leo  base colours to start with, working from my original artwork. Because his head isn't highly detailed and low in detail, I chose various other parts of Leo structure to add to his head map and so to make the most of the space available in the separate head and body map setups (The area around his 'head' and his shoulder cannon would be the parts utilizing the head map). Leo's colour palette   makes more use of breaking up the varying areas of Leo's body then Sprockets initially did, with opposing limbs bearing different tones. 

Once the base colours were laid down, I then worked on applying the surface detail, showing off the paneling and vents, etc as well as any text/labeling printed onto his bodywork. As well as this, I layered on top of it all of the wear and tear, dirt and rust to show the worn nature of his surface. As the main body of Leo is painted, I made sure to make the  edges worn off and scuffed to show the  metallic body underneath, with lots of scratches and patches of rust affecting exposed metal plates. 

Working with the specular maps on Sprocket and the help I got with how to approach creating them on hard surfaces like the metal plates, gave me a better insight when creating them for my second character. Initially the specular's once applied were too overbearing, but once I subtracted the areas that were worn (such as the rust, and dirt) from the white areas it only applied the specular to the areas that needed it. On top of this, with the application of a Gloss map also it broke up the surface properties between the paint job, the metallic surfaces and the markings on his bodywork. 



Below, The finished textured model of Leo: Applied Diffuse, Specular, Glossy, Glow and normal maps, and tweaked and adjusted the levels for the final result. Learning from problems I encountered with the texturing process with my first character Sprocket, helped make the process a lot more straightforward with Leo, with a better knowledge of the interaction between Specular and Glossy maps, which i think has contributed towards making Leo look as polished as he does in the final render. I also like how some of the smaller details on Leo have turned out, such as the 4 stars on his left shoulder joint, to show off his past military rank as a general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment